Tuesday 17 February 2009

Roberta Flack - Oasis - 1988 - Atlantic

"Oasis" remains my favourite Roberta Flack album to date. This 1988 album, for me was the last decent album this wonderful lady recorded, and in my opinion it's about time we had a new album of new material from her! There, that's her told! Lol. Joking aside, check the sound samples blow and see what you thing, because the best judge of anything is yourself and not me! I was so impressed by this album and, released in December 1988 became part and parcel of my memories of that Christmas. Marcus Miller, Jerry Hey, Michael Omartian and Quincy Jones pooled their considerable talents here and the result, I think you will strongly agree, is magical. "Oasis", a Marcus Miller song is a song of such gaiety and fitting for this Lady's vocal talents. The fact this shot to no. 1 on the R&B charts at the time shows you how much this song was loved. Can you imagine a song like that achieving success now? No, me neither, sadly.

Track two is a song that is apart of my very fabric. Such a deep, beautiful song and Michael Omartian is to be thanked for the spine-tingling nature of this song. "All Caught Up In Love" wells me up every time - beyond compare and one of the Lady's finest ever moments. Ashford and Simpson are two talents of some magnitude, and their song "Uh-Uh Ooh-Ooh Look Out (Here It Comes)" is yet another highlight and is typical of the high watermark RnB of the day. Atlantic were perverse enough to issue this as a 12" with a house remix from Steve "Silk" Hurley. How inappropriate! I'm starting to turn into Angry of Mayfair aren't I?! "You Know What It's Like" is beautiful - Jerry Hey of Seawind's horn section overseeing this. I can't help thinking how well George Benson would sound on this track. My final choice is Andy Goldmark's atmospheric and sultry "His Name) Brazil". Roberta simply takes flight on here and the song, no, the whole album is warmer and sensitive thanks to it. I love this and it never fails to get the lump in the throat going. Such a quality album, and readily available on CD.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy from Amazon