Thursday 19 February 2009

René And Angela - Street Called Desire - 1985 - Mercury

Amazing, wasn't it, what soul tracks made it high into the UK hit parade. This 1985 album saw a massive hit in the form of "I'll Be Good" and I was very happy - and surprised - that this was such a big hit, but that was then. It was still possible then for great songs to make it - I remember November 1984 when the UK Top Ten featured the Dazz Band, the Temptations and Chaka Khan. Oh for those days again! LOL. This was the last pairing for René Moore and Angela Winbush, and what an album it was. Crammed with the smoothest ballads and hippest dance floor burners, "Street Called Desire" was enough to cause a stir in quite a few places. This set saw the use of rapper, Kurtis Blow, on the excellent - if dated - "Save Your Love (For #1)". This was novel at the time - Chaka had worked with Grandmaster Flash so why not. Talk about a slippery slope! LOL.

The crowning dance cut has to be "I'll Be Good". Such a great track and so infectious that anybody and everybody I've played this to have immediately loved it. Twenty-three years on and I get the same rush hearing it as I did back in 1985. Not a mean feat. the funkiness of the synthline and bassline is exceptionally addictive. Vocally René and Angela are on top form here. I think that Angela slipped into too safe a territory with her own work, and accusations that a lot of her work sounds too samey may well stem from that. I happen to like it, so am not worried either way BUT I understand where these comments stem from. Her unique style is easily discernible in the gorgeous "Your Smile" with, almost, a Reggae-type bass guitar rhythm and exotic synths. "Your Smile" was released as a single and didn't fare as well but for me is still a true piece of quality 80s soul music. Again, a similar plaudit can apply to "You Don't Have To Cry" which contains a luxurious melody that appears to have formed the foundation for a few later excursions from this sexy Lady - I am immediately thinking of of "Angel" or even "Hello Beloved". Reissued on CD by Mercury, I believe they have bolted on a few extra cuts - and quite inexpensive too.


Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe


Buy from Amazon