Saturday 21 February 2009

Marcus Miller - Marcus - 1984 - Warner Brothers

Marcus Miller has carried on recording albums since this 1984 effort for Warner Brothers, but for my money he has done nothing to beat this album nor 1983's superb "Suddenly" set. I would, though, check out the 2006 album, "M2", on which Raphael Saadiq takes centre stage on "Boomerang". Excellent! Anyway...back to 1984! Marcus' Bass, production, writing and vocal work is - for me - simply superb and I am really happy when all talents are drawn together and used on one CD. OK, for this particular album I am drawn to but 2 songs but what a brace of choonage to feast your ears on here! Fans of sultry, lazy, laid-back summer soul grooves need only apply. "Is There Anything I Can Do" and "Nadine" really are a special couplet of songs and crave your attention. Once only available on CD in Japan both "Suddenly" and "Marcus Miller" have since been reissued in the UK at a very reasonable price.

My first choice is the wonderful "Is There Anything I Can Do". Anyone who says Marcus does not have a capable voice is simply mad and probably on the wrong website! This tropical, summery jogger is nothing short of timeless. A quarter of a century old and it's not dates one second in my honest opinion. I note with interest how this vocal style was used by rappers Outkast on their KILLER ballad, "Prototype" back in 2003. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences. "Nadine" is my second choice. All I can say is listen to the song below and if you don't say "wow!" then I really don't know what to say. To me, this is sheer sexy ear candy and from the tinkling, soulful bass, Fender Rhodes and spaced out synth I can only feel exhilarated and warm. This is what 80s tunes so damn great. Real atmosphere and plenty of texture. I love this track, and invariably switch from this to other faves from the same time frame such as Chaka Khan's "Through The Fire", George Benson's "New Day" and Bobby Womack's "I Wish He Didn't Trust Me So Much". Simply an amazing time and I miss them so much.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy from Amazon