Thursday 19 February 2009

Evan Rogers - Faces Of Love - 1989 - Capitol

I have very warm recollections of 1989, and part of what makes up that bag of memories and emotions is the great, great music that was released that year. So much was released that year I still have CDs on my wants list that I have yet been fortunate to acquire! 'Twas always thus. I have to include this sizzling set from writer / producer Evan Rogers, who, along with Carl Sturken produced a batch of classy dancers and ballads throughout the 1980s for themselves as well as other artists. Today is a different matter and I can't say I feel the same but these guys have always had their fingers on the pulse with what's going down but I fear the likes of Rihanna etc do nothing at all for me. Absolutely nothing. This 1989 album, though, is definitely NOT aimed at pre-pubescent children and teenagers unlike toady's mainstream RnB trash.

The popier side of this gent was alwayys going to play it's part, but the more accessible and tolerable part comes in the form of the single release, "Call My Heart Your Home", which isn't bad as far as crossover songs go, and his duet with (then) new artist Deitra Hicks should have been a LOT bigger than it was. Not my cup of tea but you can hear the huge hit potential in this. My personal choices, though, mop the floor with these offerings. Here we get what I see as the REAL Evan Rogers. The synth / acoustic guitar introduction to "Love Like A River" is one that gives me goose-flesh. Evan's soft vocals are soulful - achingly so - and renders this as an ESSENTIAL cut for anyone who loves connoisseur-quality late 80s quiet storm soul. Such a song must not be allowed to disappear off of the radar. Equally, "Whenever I Call Your Name" should be a winner for those like me who love top-draw 80s material. Songs such as this meaty ballad helped define and ingrain the hot summer of 1989 into my mind, searing it there forever. My collection has many gems within it but it's all the richer for these two real soul nuggets.

Barry Towler
The Vibe Scribe

Buy from Amazon